8.22.2007

Sano! (Hello in Hausa)

Hello out there to anyone who may be reading this blog! Computer time and access is unfortunately short these days, as other people around here have more important work to be done on them, but hopefully I will be able to get in some good posts soon. In the meantime, I am trying to keep good notes as the days fly by (we leave on Monday and I am already too sad to think about it much... amazing how quickly I've grown to love this place and the people here.)

In the past couple of days, I have observed live surgeries, met with the founder of a women's initiative group that also started a microloan program, found some great Nigerian literature at a bookstore, spoke at the FAF staff meeting (beacuse they make everyone do that on their last week) and rode all over Jos on one of the ubiquitous motorbikes with Ezekiel, who does home-based care visits to patients too sick to come into the clinic. It was my favorite thing that I have done the entire time so far, and that is really saying a lot. I also got my hair done today (it took over two hours)- finally, after much prodding and teasing by all the women here, who keep asking me why I don't "look Nigerian" yet, and my clothes will be done by tomorrow so now I will be able to placate (and probably amuse) them. I will write at greater length about all of this and more when I get the chance... and feel free to prompt me if I don't. :) Love to you all!


With a mother and daughter who make batik tablecloths and wall hangings- I bought the red one the mother is holding- it has giraffes on it.Part of the Home-Based Care motor fleet.

Getting my hair "made".
Sunset in Jos.

No comments: